pages

thai quinoa salad with spicy peanut dressing



I've come to realize recently that this blog is not the best representation of how I really eat.

It would seem from the posts thus far that I am nearly always a vegan, eat only ice cream made from bananas and spinach, and when in need of a pick-me-up, happily reach for a homemade, low-sugar fruit and nut bar.

Haha.  Ha. Ha. Haha  haha ahhahahah ahahahaha.


some of these pictures look familiar...

No, but really.  When you're not looking, I eat Korean ice creams galore (aren't they the best?), "taste-test" macarons until I'm sick of them, drink sugary boba drinks almost daily, and stuff myself with all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ until it hurts, only to finish it off with copious amounts of green tea shaved ice for dessert.  That's the kind of eater I am a lot most of the time, and no one who even half knows me would argue with that.  Really, if I didn't have this blog, there's a good chance my diet would be that horrible all the time.

So every once in a while, I need meals like these - meals high in superfood factor, low in bad fats, high in nutrition, and really, really low in guilt-factor.  My fellow frequent-indulger-in-guilty-pleasures, this one's for you.



I actually made this for lunch the day after the aforementioned BBQ binge, when I woke up full and bloated (ah, the consequences of overeating).  Tossed with some mixed greens to bulk up the meal, I have to say the conversely light lunch did make me feel a little (a little) better about the whole thing.



Quinoa, pronounced KEEN-wah, has been getting a lot of attention, and rightly so - the little grain is easy to cook (via stovetop or rice cooker), versatile (tossed in salads, toasted for crunch, substituted for rice), tasty (slightly nutty with a texture similar to rice), pretty (it comes in red and white varieties),  a complete protein, and yes, very good for you.  Also, now that you know how to pronounce it correctly, you can walk into a Whole Foods with full confidence that no one will know you're an outsider when you ask for "some KEENwah salad, please."  Even better if you go in Lululemon pants.



Thai* Quinoa Salad

* When I say Thai, I do mean it very loosely, more like "Thai-inspired" - because of ingredients like peanuts, apricots, red bell pepper, coconut, and the cilantro I wanted to use - and not at all as an assumption of what makes up authentic Thai cuisine.  I know how frustrating and even insulting that can be (like sticking kimchi in something and calling it "Korean").  I just wanted to be more specific than "Asian" while giving an idea of the salad's flavor profile :)

Salad:
1/2 uncooked quinoa
2 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 scallions, chopped (cilantro would work great, too, if you have it on hand)
2 tbsp roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
small handful of dried apricots, chopped
Optional: 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

Dressing:
1 1/2 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce (this may seem too salty, but this is the only seasoning in the entire salad; if your soy sauce isn't reduced sodium, try less at first and season to taste)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp all-natural peanut butter (Skippy's/Jif have added sugar)
dash Sriracha hot sauce

In a small saucepan, combine quinoa with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cover for 15-20 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. If using coconut flakes, heat oven to 350.

While the quinoa is cooking, combine all the dressing ingredients in a large bowl; mix together until a smooth consistency is reached.  Prepare the other ingredients for the salad; add all of them to the bowl except for the coconut flakes.  If using coconut flakes, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and into the preheated oven until toasted and golden brown, about 10 minutes.  When the quinoa is done cooking, add the quinoa to your bowl.  Toss everything to coat evenly.  That's it!

If you want to feel extra good about yourself, toss the salad with a large handful of mixed greens and garnish with toasted coconut flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment